Saturday 3 October 2015

Breast Cancer Recurrence

It has been two and a half years since I was first diagnosed with er+ pr+ her2- breast cancer in my right breast. Most of my treatment was well over. I was still on hormonal treatment, including my monthly zolodex injections and tamoxifen tablets daily. I was stage 2b with my first diagnosis and the chances of recurrence were supposed to be slim. I was still on three monthly visits with my medical oncologist and surgeon. My life was beginning to feel almost normal again. I had just started to relax. I stopped fearing, everyday, that every ache in my body was cancer. After two and a half years I was finally feeling calm again.
My G.P(general practitioner) suggested that I have a mammogram and ultrasound as he didn't have any records on file since September last year. He figured I was due and should have the left breast checked as well because "sometimes cancer can return in the opposite breast". Now, I owe my doctor a second time as the mammogram picked up a cancerous lump in my left breast.Again, I thank my doctor for being so thorough as he has probably saved my life for a second time.
Two weeks ago I had a lumpectomy on my left breast and lymph node removal with all clear margins. This time I won't be having chemotherapy but I will have radiation therapy again, starting in a few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment